Open/Close Menu Attorney at Law

If you discover that someone has collected unemployment under your name (or someone you know) here are some things you can do to deal with this situation. This is a bigger problem that you might imagine. There are people trying to collect unemployment, in multiple states at the same time, under the names of other people.  If it happens to you, you should notify multiple government entities (in writing) about the fraud. This includes NYS Unemployment, NYS department of labor, NYS tax, and the IRS.

The unemployment 1099-G will be issued to NYS tax and the IRS and it will count as taxable income. Therefore, you need to contact the entities and explain that this was NOT your income since you didn’t receive any unemployment income.

You should draft a letter indicating what you know about the situation, put on the top of the document that it is your affidavit, and sign it in front of a notary. Mail the letter via certified mail, return receipt requested, to NYS Unemployment, NYS department of labor, NYS tax, and the IRS.

Mail out your letters via certified mail and there are some phone numbers where you can call in the fraud.

These numbers are subject to change anytime, so try to do a web search to confirm any updated phone numbers on the Internet.

If someone has filed a prior claim in your name and you need to file for unemployment benefits, call our
Unemployment fraud: 888-209-8124 , 888-598-2077, 866-783-5567
IRS fraud: 800-366-4484
NYS tax fraud: 518-457-0578
Telephone Claims Center at 888-209-8124.

Call now for a free quote