OATH Hearings and Trials
The Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH) is New York City’s central and independent administrative law court. Distinct from the state court system, OATH plays a pivotal role in adjudicating various city matters across three divisions:
- OATH Trials Division:
- Handles a broad spectrum of issues referred by any City agency, board, or commission.
- Oversees cases related to:
- Employee discipline and disability hearings for civil servants.
- Conflicts of Interest Board cases.
- Police-seized vehicle retention proceedings.
- City-issued license and regulatory enforcement.
- Real estate, zoning, and loft law violations.
- City contract disputes.
- Human rights violations under City Human Rights Law.
- Trials are overseen by Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) appointed for five-year terms.
- OATH Hearings Division:
- Conducts hearings on summonses issued by 25 different City enforcement agencies for alleged legal or City rule violations.
- These summonses come from departments like Buildings, Sanitation, Environmental Protection, Consumer and Worker Protection, Health and Mental Hygiene, and the Taxi and Limousine Commission.
- OATH hearings are managed by dedicated Hearing Officers.
- The OATH Help Center assists those without legal representation in understanding the law, the hearing process, and proper ways to address and resolve summonses.
- OATH Special Education Hearings Division:
- Resolves disputes concerning special education services offered to New York City’s children.
- OATH also encompasses the Center for Creative Conflict Resolution, offering mediation and restorative justice support, and the Judicial Institute, which provides ongoing training and resources for New York City’s administrative law community.
Facing an OATH Summons? Here’s Why You Our Law Firm:
An OATH summons can be more than a mere inconvenience—it can be costly, overwhelming, and nerve-wracking. Our law firm is dedicated to alleviating these stresses:
- Expertise: We’re deeply familiar with the intricacies of OATH’s various divisions and processes.
- Defense Strategy: We meticulously gather evidence, call upon relevant witnesses, and construct a formidable defense based on your specific situation.
- Representation: We will stand by you, representing you at your hearing, ensuring your rights and interests are fiercely defended.
- Peace of Mind: With us on your side, you can have peace of mind knowing seasoned professionals are handling your case.
Let Us Navigate Your OATH Journey
Don’t go it alone. Trust the expertise of our law firm to guide and represent you through your OATH-related hearing or trial.
Contact us today and let’s secure the best possible outcome for your case.
CLICK HERE to contact the law firm.
CLICK HERE for information regarding books published by Attorney Ronald S. Cook.